This article was first run on Touchmark at Fairway Village’s December Newsletter
Restoring Order to Your Family Room
One of the best features of any home is the family room – precisely because of the loved ones it convenes! It’s a gathering space, an entertainment den, and a respite from the demands of life.
It can also become a magnet for “everything else.” Our handbags, catalogs, projects, paperwork, pet supplies, reading materials, and media can pile up and add to visual “noise.” This visual clutter detracts from the restfulness of the space.
To retain the respite of this essential space:
- Define the purpose of the room, including what activities you will do here
- List the types of items that land here and get stuck
- Determine whether all those items need to live there or could live in a nearby location
- Re-home nomadic items that don’t serve the purpose of the family room
- Establish a work center somewhere else to eliminate creeping paperwork
- Create a routing system to whisk away landed items at the end of each night
I also find that occasionally rearranging the furniture and swapping out blankets and pillows seasonally can keep this main thoroughfare fresh and inviting.
Enjoy your orderly family room and especially the ones in it!